This is a soft stew and ideal for anyone with gut issues, such as inflammatory conditions - diverticulitis, gastritis, coeliac disease, IBS-D, ME, candida, post gallbladder/appendix operations. The passata tomatoes and olives can be excluded and the stock increased where there is extreme sensitivity. The long slow cooking takes the onus away from digestion.
It can be served with mashed root vegetables of choice or steamed vegetables. In the event of illness such as ME or post operations where there is very little energy, it can be frozen successfully in advance and keeps for 2 days in the fridge, so can be heated up.
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 600g venison chopped into chunks
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 cups of stock
- 14 oz organic passata tomatoes (add stock instead if avoiding deadly nightshade family)
- 200g pitted green olives
- 2 oranges thinly sliced
- zest of 2 oranges
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- celtic sea salt to add in afterwards
- Place venison chunks in a bag and add the tapioca flour and shake until covered.
- Lightly fry in coconut butter until brown. Remove from pan.
- Fry onion until softened and add carrot and celery and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add venison and remaining ingredients EXCEPT orange, zests and parsley.
- Place in slow cooker and either cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8 hours.
- At the end add orange, zests, parsley and celtic sea salt.
- Serve with steamed vegetables.